Check Sitelink URLs - User Guide
What does the Check Sitelink URLs script do?
This Enhanced Script automatically checks the landing pages that sitelinks are linked to, and it finds sitelinks that lead to 404 error pages. You can also setup the script to find pages that contain certain phrases like 'product not found' etc. It generates a report with URLs that lead to 404 error pages.
How does it work?
- Choose the account you want to run the script in and go to the All Enhanced Scripts page. On this page select the Check Sitelink URLs script.
- You can either 'Create a new setting' or 'Copy a setting from an existing account'. To create a new setting, follow the steps below:
- Setting Name:
Enter the name you want to give the setting. The same script can have multiple settings for the same account. You can choose to pause and enable settings as you wish.
- Spreadsheet URL:
The script generates a report with the results in a Google Spreadsheet. If you want to paste the results into an existing spreadsheet, put in the address of the spreadsheet and make sure the sharing settings are set correctly, otherwise the script will not be able to make changes to the spreadsheet. If you leave 'NEW' in the spreadsheet setting, the script will create a new spreadsheet in the Google Drive folder associated with your AdWords account email.
- Emails to Notify:
The script can send an automatic email after it finishes running. If you would like to send the notification email to multiple people, you can enter their emails in the 'Email Addresses To Notify' setting, and they will be notified.
The script can check all sitelinks URLs in an account or only those at the campaign or ad group level. You can specify this in 'Scope.'
To easily recognize the landing pages that the script identifies as bad landing pages, you can choose to label them in AdWords. This is an optional setting.
The Advanced Settings section of this script gives you the option to include additional settings in the script like checking for specific text on the page or sharing the results spreadsheet with multiple email addresses. In this section you can:
- Enter additional email addresses you want to share the spreadsheet with. By default, the spreadsheet is shared with AdWords email address.
- Apart from finding 404 Error pages, this script can also check specific text on the page. The script can check for text like 'product not found' or 'out of stock.'
- By default, the script only checks URLs that have at least one impression, if you want to check all URLs even those that have zero impressions, select the relevant box. Keep in mind; this may cause the script to timeout if the account is very large. You can also choose not to receive an email if the script doesn't find any landing pages that are not working properly. This can be done by selecting the 'Disable Email Alert If No Error Found' option.
How to install and run the enhanced script?
After entering the details for the setting, click on 'Save Settings'. This will give you an option to 'Download' the script which can then be installed in the AdWords account. For detailed steps on how to install a script in AdWords read this article. This script can also be run at the MCC level. This article explains how to install and run enhanced scripts at the MCC level.