Geo HeatMap - User Guide
The Geo HeatMap offers a great visualization of the traffic your AdWords campaigns drive to your website. It also gives you a breakdown of how different cities, regions and countries are performing in the form of a map and table.
Why should I use it?
Apart from the standard statistics like impressions and clicks, you can take a look at the Return on Ad Spend (ROAS) data to find out which areas have a higher return on investment. You can search for and exclude geographies that are driving irrelevant traffic and driving up the cost of your account. You can also identify high converting geographical areas and create a separate campaign for them
There are two types of visualization modes available in Geo HeatMap that makes it easier for you to visualize and analyze.
- Bubble Mode: The bubbles get combined for places when you zoom in and out and gives you cumulative data for multiple locations.
- Non-Bubble Mode: The non-bubble mode has an own circle for each place that is colored as red or green to reflect the performance. The red bubbles signify an underperforming location, and the green ones indicate regions that are performing well.
Tips to use it
- Get AdWords insights by geography: Based on the data available, you can recommend increasing bids for geographies (by city, region or country) that have a higher ROAS. Also, getting insight on how the campaigns are performing by location is helps target the right kind of audience.
- Make sure ads are showing in the right geography: Whenever you are using Geo HeatMap, ensure that the account is getting data from the right geographies. If you notice a lot of clicks coming from a country/city that has zero conversions, your ad might be driving irrelevant traffic and driving up the cost. Then it may be a good idea to either exclude that geography or create a separate campaign and optimize for it.
For example, ads for a company selling products for a local area are showing in locations where they don’t ship their products. This means that they are unnecessarily wasting money on locations that will not result in sales.
Use cases for the Geo HeatMap
- Take a look at the return on ad spend (ROAS) data broken down by city, region or country to find areas that have higher return on investment.
- Find geographies that are driving irrelevant traffic and driving up cost of the account as well identify high converting geographical areas.
- Recommend increasing bids for geographies that have a higher ROAS.