Search Terms N-Grams - User Guide
What does the Search Terms N-Grams do?
The Search Terms N-Grams breaks down the search terms into individual words and shows the top 100 one word search terms based on the selected metric - impressions, clicks, conversions, converted clicks, etc.
Why should you use it?
With the Search Terms N-Grams:
- You can gauge which terms are driving traffic to your account. It removes the burden of going through the entire Search Terms Report. Also, it makes sure you don't miss out on long tail search terms.
- Get new keyword ideas. For example, it is 2016 and you're a travel company and you see 2017 in the word cloud. This information will tell you that people have already started planning travel for next year and you should create ad groups to capture that traffic.
- Find negative keywords that are driving traffic to your site and are not converting.
How does it work?
The Search Terms N-Grams breaks down each search term into individual words and aggregates data. For example, if a query is 10 terms long, the tool will break it down into ten individual words and aggregate data like impressions, clicks, conversions, converted clicks for all the times that the word occurred in the report.
- Choose the campaigns you want to view data for from the tree view on the left. By default, the tool shows data for all active campaigns.
- Select the metric you would like to use to view data. You can view the top words by - impressions, clicks, cost, conversions, converted clicks and conversion value.
- After you select the parameter, you will see the top 100 words from the search terms report in a word cloud format. The size of the word will determine the position of the word in the top 100 list. If you hover over the search terms in the cloud, you can see the value for that word for the selected metric. For example, if you filter by impressions, the word that has the biggest font size will have the highest number of impressions. The snapshot below explains this better.
Color code Search Terms by - Now you can see the search terms by different color codes based on certain metric. For ex- If you select clicks and find "shirts" in dark color it signifies this search term gets you high number of clicks. Similar any search term with has a light color denotes it triggers less clicks.
N grams - You can also see the search terms based on the number of words. You can sort by 1, 2 or 3 and it will show the results based on the selection.