Expanded Text Ads (ETAs) from Google AdWords are now available for all advertisers to create. To help everyone who’s too busy to write thousands of new ads but who still wants to make the transition quickly we’ve just released a new free AdWords Script.
The script uses your landing pages’ meta tags to make suggestions for the new longer ad components. The title tag gets split into 2 lines of ad headlines and the meta description’s first 80 characters become the basis of the ad description line.
The script outputs a Google Sheet that can be imported into the AdWords Editor after you make any final tweaks to your ETAs.
You can read more about it on Search Engine Land.
The AdWords Script
Copy the code into your own AdWords account and give it a try:
Step-by-step for Using AdWords Scripts
If you’ve not worked with AdWords Scripts yet, this is a great way to get your feet wet. The script simply outputs a spreadsheet of data and makes no changes to your account so it’s a very low-risk way to try things out. Here is a quick step-by-step:
- Copy the script code from the section above
- Copy-and-paste it into the Bulk Operations > Scripts section of your AdWords account
- put it into a child account and not in an MCC account
- the code should completely replace any other code already in the script
- Edit the text between lines 23 and 29 to customize the script
- Authorize, Save, and finally Preview the script
- Switch to the “Logs” view of the output and make sure the script ran successfully
- Open the just-created Google Sheet and make final tweaks to the bulk sheet of expanded text ads
- Go to the AdWords Editor and go to the menu for “Account” > “Import” and either import the data from a file or by copy-and-pasting
- Do a final review of changes and apply the changes to your account.
- Congrats! You just used AdWords Scripts to save yourself a ton of time…
Try Some Other AdWords Scripts
We have lots of other scripts to try and they’re all on our patent pending Enhanced Scripts™ platform so that the code will work equally well on MCC and child accounts, you can maintain multiple settings per account, easily maintain different settings different accounts, and most importantly, all without ever touching a single line of code. If you can copy-and-paste, you can use our Enhanced Scripts™ for AdWords.