What is the roll up feature in Shopping Bidder?
In shopping campaigns that are split at a very granular level, like product id, each product group may not have enough data to make a bidding decision, making it difficult to optimize these product groups.
In such cases, it helps if you can aggregate data to create a critical mass and use that to set bids for product groups. The roll up feature in the Shopping Bidder aggregates data for product groups to make it easier to set bids.
How does it work?
The first step is to select the metric by which you want to roll up data and the second step is to set the threshold for that metric.
- Select the metric by which you want to group or aggregate data.
- Set the threshold for that metric.
- Click Update.
Understanding the results
- The tool will roll up product groups to the lowest level that meets the data threshold selected. For example, if you choose clicks as the metric and the threshold is set to 500, the tool will show all product groups that have at least 500 clicks. Product groups that don't have 500 clicks will be rolled up to the lowest level at which the threshold is met.
- Product groups are rolled up and arranged together at the lowest level. The number of product groups in the group show in brackets (n) next to the name.
- Sometimes there are a lot of product groups in a single group, but the range for max CPC is broad. In this case, the tool further breaks it down into subgroups that have a smaller max CPC range. This helps to set bids at a more granular level. You can click on the rolled up product group to see subgroups.
- The max CPC shows the range (min - max) for all product groups under the roll up. If the new CPC requires the bid to be increased by a percentage, this is applied to the max number in the range.
How are bids changed?
Only bids for selected product groups are updated in the tool. When you click 'Apply Changes' and approve changes, the bids for these product groups are updated in AdWords.
Why can't I see product groups that are part of the roll up group?
The purpose of the roll up feature is to aggregate data, and the decision is based on data. If you would like to see each product group before changing the bid, set the roll up setting to none.